Thursday, December 4, 2008

Dishwasher cabinet and upper cabinets with shelf

This is a project my good friend and professional photographer, Matt Nichols, asked me to design and build when he moved to a new apartment. It was a great space... but the kitchen wasn't that cool. I built the awesome cabinet surrounding the diswasher, the wine rack and the two above the sink with the shelves in between.
These cabinets are made from maple and (I would soon find out) my arch nemesis wood, Blood Wood. I had quite a physical reaction to this while working with it (which posed no harm to Matt or his guests after I sealed it) but it was well worth the final product! Isn't this cabinet top gorgeous?!
I used these great new "concealed" hinges which allow the cabinets to open easily - but the outside not to be disrupted by the metal hinges.


This is the dishwasher cabinet. The metal banding around the wood posed a unique challenge - but the end product looked very cool. This is a close-up of the wine rack I made from "scratch"...
I bent the steelI welded itand I installed the tension cable.

I love hanging out in Matt's kitchen now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm yummy Stone Hill in the wine rack...